ZFS

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Wed Sep 15 23:41:43 PDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Sam wrote:

> Call me crazy, but does anyone else see this as hooey?  2^64 512B
> sectors is 8192 zettabytes (zetta, exa, peta, tera, ...).
>
> I'm also wondering what perversion of moore's law is applicable to
> storage consumption.
>
> Crappy marketing articles.
>
> Sam

Maybe they're actually doing some sort of sub-sector addressing, so the
2^64 refers to the number of bytes on the disk, rather than the number of
sectors.  That would bring it down by 2^9, and might make the argument
more potent.

It'll be interesting to see what Hans Reiser says about it... Obviously
he's biased towards ReiserFS, but he's certainly much more familiar with
FS design than most of us, and will certainly have opinions. :)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack