ZFS

Chris Doherty chris-freebsd at randomcamel.net
Wed Sep 15 13:48:26 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:59:36AM -0500, Sam said:
> "Sun engineers wondered if the 64-bit capabilities of current file systems
> will continue to suffice over the next 10 to 20 years. Their answer was
> no. If Moore's Law holds, in 10 to 15 years people will need a 65th bit.
> As a 128-bit system, ZFS is designed to support more storage, more file
> systems, more snapshots, more directory entries, and more files than can
> possibly be created in the foreseeable future."
>
> Call me crazy, but does anyone else see this as hooey?  2^64 512B
> sectors is 8192 zettabytes (zetta, exa, peta, tera, ...).
[snip]
> Crappy marketing articles.

regardless of the marketing hyperbole, a friend of mine went to a
week-long Solaris 10 beta conference put on my Sun, and says that their
engineers said the extrapolations did show they'd have to go beyond 64-bit
filesystems in the 10-15 year timeframe, so as long as they were going to
have to rewrite everything anyway, they'd just go whole-hog and do 128-bit
and add a ton of shiny features while they were at it.

he also reported it worked well as advertised; I'm inclined to believe
him, since he has no special love for Sun, and he was speaking directly
with the engineers who developed the thing.

chris

Chris Doherty
chris [at] randomcamel.net

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat
all our provisions now, so we won't have so much to carry."
               -- A. A. Milne