586Core

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Sep 13 23:40:12 PDT 2004

In message: <20040914032642.GB69109 at freebsd3.cimlogic.com.au>
            John Birrell <jb at cimlogic.com.au> writes:
: On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:20:35AM -0600, soralx at cydem.org wrote:
: > I'm starting some small project, and I need to decide what hardware
: > will fit its needs. I'm looking for a small single-board computer that
: > should have minimum: 2 serial ports (RS232 & [RS232 | USB(preferable)]),
: > 8-bit databus, FLASH disk, RTC, 486 CPU performance, low power consumption;
: > should be able to run FreeBSD. PCB size does not matter much. One
: > of the applications I plan to run on it is 'gnokii'.
: >
: > I've found this: 'http://www.compulab.co.il/586core.htm', and I'd appreciate
: > to get some opinions on this product. Is anyone using it? How well does it
: > work with FreeBSD (or *BSD)? How well FBSD works with its USB controller
: > (ScanLogic SL811HST)?
:
: FreeBSD runs fine on the 586Core (and 586Base). Compulab also responds to
: support emails.

We're using the 586Core board on a system here that needs to run in a
very small space (smaller than the soekris boards fit into even).
We've had excellent response from Compulab on our questions as well.

Their serial BIOS is a pain to use, but for most applications it
doesn't matter at all...

Warner