Large FreeBSD Users / Impressive Metrics

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 7 12:57:19 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 02:35 pm, Murray Stokely wrote:
> I'm working on updating our advocacy material used on the website, in
> the Handbook, and now in a set of generic slides that can be used or
> adapted for presentations.
>
> If you have ideas about cool new functionality that we should do a
> better job of touting, know of large FreeBSD users (I could especially
> use more pointers to embedded uses of FreeBSD), or otherwise have
> impressive statistics or benchmarks that we should be getting more
> leverage out of, please let me know.

The Weather Channel uses FreeBSD to do realtime audio/video presentation in
hundreds of locations across the US serving content to millions of cable and
satellite customers in a "smart device".  (I'm not sure a 4U box really
qualifies as "embedded", at least via traditional definitions of
"embedded". :)