slow login, app launching, etc

Tony Frank tfrank at optushome.com.au
Fri Sep 3 17:40:41 PDT 2004

Hi there,

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 08:25:20AM -0500, Bagus wrote:

>  Hi, is anyone able to help me problem solve on this? Is this the right
> forum for this kind of question? If not, could someone please send me a
> pointer to an organization that might be able to help. I have a small budget
> to get this fixed if anyone wants it.
>
>  I'm running FreeBSD 2.2CAM-19980716-SNAP on bagus.org.
>
>  I've been running it for a few years. Recently, after normal performance,
>  I've been experiencing extremely slow login prompt appearance, extremely
>  slow application launching and what bugs me the most is the extremely slow
>  response time of my java-web server. OTher functionality is ok. It serves
>  html files just fine and also basic command line response is fine.
>
>  Anyone out there have any clues as to what it could be? I'm kind
>  of guessing  it has something to do with some name resolution somewhere,
>  but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try checking your DNS setup; it may have changed?

I often see this kind of behaviour when the host tries to perform
reverse lookup on IP addresses.
If DNS is configured incorrectly (eg non existant DNS server) the query
times out (takes maybe 75s for default bind resolver) instead of returning
an error or whatever.

/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts are good places to start.

Regards,

Tony