How to customize a release?

ctodd at chrismiller.com ctodd at chrismiller.com
Thu Sep 2 13:07:09 PDT 2004

John,
	Thanks for the quick reply.

> There is a 'KERNELS' variable that is helpful.

I see this in the Makefile, but if I were to use KERNELS=MYKERNEL will
that prevent the other standard kernels from being built?

> Also, look at LOCAL_PATCHES and LOCAL_SCRIPTS as far as how to patch a
> release build.  Note that you can include patches to
> src/release/Makefile in LOCAL_PATCHES if need be. :)

LOCAL_PATCHES is what I'm using now (waiting for build to finish to see
how it worked). I was hoping for a way to populate the src tree without
doing a full release so I could create the patches, then run make release
only once (it took 5 hours on my devel system last time).  At this point
I've already done that, but for the next time I'd like to work more
efficiently.

BTW, I see I overlooked the RELEASENOUPDATE variable in the man page, so
that answers my question about preventing CVS updates on "make rerelease".
Unfortunately make rerelease didn't rebuild anything in /R/stage (I got
"ftp.1 is up to date"). Am I supposed to delete the stage directories to
force a rebuild, or do I need to do a full release to incorporate any
minor changes?

Chris