kernel panic, unknown / reserved trap

Sam sah at softcardsystems.com
Wed Sep 1 15:11:55 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm working on a driver for AoE (ATA over Ethernet)
for the 4.x kernel (check recent freebsd-arch
postings for info).  I have modified a few files
in order to support catching ethernet frames of type
0x88a2.  The make kernel completes successfully,
but on boot the kernel panics with an unknown/reserved
trap failure.  I've modified the following:

freebsd% for i in `find . -type f | tr \\\n ' '`; do
> echo $i; diff $i ../sysorig/$i; done
./net/ethernet.h
310d309
< #define       ETHERTYPE_AOE           0x88A2  /* ATA over Ethernet */
./net/if_ethersubr.c
43d42
< #include "opt_aoe.h"
103,106d101
< #ifdef AOE
< struct ifqueue *aoeintrq;
< #endif /* AOE */
<
751,761d745
< #ifdef AOE
<       case ETHERTYPE_AOE:
<               if(aoeintrq) {
<                       schednetisr(NETISR_AOE);
<                       inq = aoeintrq;
<                       break;
<               }
<               m_freem(m);
<               return;
< #endif /* AOE */
<
./net/netisr.h
59d58
< #define       NETISR_AOE      17      /* ATA over Ethernet */
./conf/options
256,258d255
< # AoE network option
< AOE                   opt_aoe.h
<
./conf/files
288,293d287
< dev/aoe/aoe.c         optional aoe
< dev/aoe/aoedev.c      optional aoe
< dev/aoe/aoecmd.c      optional aoe
< dev/aoe/aoenet.c      optional aoe
< dev/aoe/aoeblk.c      optional aoe
< dev/aoe/utils.c               optional aoe

I've also added dev/aoe/ with the files listed
above and modules/aoe/ with a makefile similar
to modules/md/Makefile.

I don't really see how what I did is causing
the kernel to panic so early ... is anything
obvious?

Cheers,

Sam