label editing

Erik Udo erik.u at dnainternet.net
Sat Oct 23 01:35:02 PDT 2004

So i got my partition back, and succesfully mounted it. All
the old data was there. Now i just need my old slice on that
partition back.

Here's what happend in chronological order of what i did:
- I boot 4.4 installdisk to fix mbr
- I set ad0s1 as bootable, and write changes
- Then i boot to HD installation of FreeBSD 5.3RC1
- And then i notice, my 150GB partition is gone, it's now
100GB 4.2BSD and 50GB unused
- I delete 100GB partition, and merge 100GB and 50GB into
one partition, and save changes.
-I run gpart and scan_ffs unsuccesfully
-Then i figured i can mount /dev/ad0s3, and that i didn't need labels.
-And now i'm messing with disklabel -e to recover my old partition.

Now remember i only did one slice on that partition some
time ago using sysinstall. It was ad0s3d.

Here's what bsdlabel -e /dev/ad0s3 gives me:

# /dev/ad0s3:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a: 398297072       16    unused        0     0
  c: 335389005        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit

Then i try to save it, with no modifications, i get:

/tmp/EdDk.tiDLEmTpvt: 5 lines, 223 characters.
partition a: partition extends past end of unit
re-edit the label? [y]:

So i'm asking for correct changes i could try to recover my
lost slice.