How to access a device on LPC bus?

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Sun Oct 17 14:11:15 PDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 01:50:11PM +0200, Thiemo Nordenholz wrote:
> beginner's question, maybe: How do I, from a device driver point of view,
> access a device attached to the "Low Pincount" (LPC) bus?

Treat it as an ISA bus but write an ACPI attachment for it.
Look at src/sys/dev/fdc/fdc_acpi.c:fdc_acpi_probe() for an example.

>     unknown pnpinfo _HID=WEC0518 _UID=0 at handle=\_SB_.C046.C059.C140

There appears to be a Linux driver for this, which gives you something
to work from.

> Now, to implement an identify function in a driver for this, I need to
> access data in the controller - but I don't have any information about its
> memory attachments...

I'd suggest looking at that driver and accessing the registers you need to
identify the device sub-type in your attach function.

BMS