Fwd: default resolver(5) configuration and behavior of functions like gethostbyname(3)

Ryan Sommers ryans at gamersimpact.com
Fri Oct 15 15:48:24 PDT 2004

Rostislav Krasny said:
>> Please explain why developers of FreeBSD had chose 4 instead of 2? Maybe
>> they should change it to 2, as this default value is defined on most of
>> other systems, including NetBSD?

Don't know why 4 was chosen instead of 2, haven't had a chance to look at
the commit logs. We might have ported over the code from OpenBSD and just
didn't change their value.

>> why is doubling the number of DNS queries? Is it gethostbyname(3)
>> function or the resolver itself?

Do you have 2 name servers in /etc/resolv.conf? Or do you have a hostname
in /etc/resolv.conf that resolves to multiple IPs?

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans at gamersimpact.com