syslog() reentrant when compiling with -pthread?

Marc Balmer marc at msys.ch
Wed Oct 6 07:28:35 PDT 2004

Hi

I am a long time Unix developer but new with FreeBSD. I worked the last
years mostly with OpenBSD.  First I am overwhelmed by the number of
mailing lists you guys provide.  Second I am not sure if I picked the
right one ;-)  So please direct me to the right place if this list is
only for discussion of FreeBSD system development...

My question regarding thread-safeness of syslog():  On OpenBSD I used
syslog_r() to do thread safe logging (the software in question is a
sendmail milter, which runs multithreaded).  FreeBSD does not have
these functions, but the cc man page states that compiling with
"-pthread" links in the thread safe libc_r library instead of libc.  As
syslog() seems to part of libc on FreeBSD, is it safe to assume that
syslog() is indeed thread safe on FreeBSD when compiling with the
-pthread switch?

Thanks,
Marc Balmer