Protection from the dreaded "rm -fr /"

Michael Reifenberger mike at Reifenberger.com
Sat Oct 2 12:26:26 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, David Schultz wrote:
> Do you also want to be able to swap to the root partition while
> it's mounted?  We can bring back that feature, too.  But
> personally, I don't see anything wrong with the view that
> operations that are guaranteed to shoot people in the foot should
> be disallowed.

Every anti foot shooting takes time to check for.
A strncmp for every arg is maybe ok. Traversing the tree for realpath is not.
The job for `rm` is to remove whatever it is given to get removed.
As fast as possible. Nothing else.

Bye/2
---
Michael Reifenberger, Business Development Manager SAP-Basis, Plaut Consulting
Comp: Michael.Reifenberger at plaut.de | Priv: Michael at Reifenberger.com
       http://www.plaut.de           |       http://www.Reifenberger.com