isp driver not 64 bit?

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Tue Nov 30 12:43:03 PST 2004

>>>>> "Wilko" == Wilko Bulte <wb at freebie.xs4all.nl> writes:

Wilko> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 12:22:23PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote..
>> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 11:39 am, Wilko Bulte wrote: > On Mon,
>> Nov 29, 2004 at 08:05:39PM -0500, freebsd-list at dclg.ca > wrote..

>> the > > conclusion that the isp(4) driver is not 64 bit safe --- at
>> the > > very least insofar as the amd64 platform is concerned.
>> >
>> > Side note: isp(4) has been in use for years on Alpha, and I do
>> not > recall having seen problems like yours on it.  Mind you, not
>> much FC > connections I ever used on it.  The only thing critical
>> for success > on Alpha is loading ispfw.ko *always*.  Matt (mjacob)
>> has noted that > multiple times, and he is absolutely right.
>> >
>> > Wilko
>>
>> I haven't seen an alpha with more than 2G of ram that we booted on.
>> Is it possible that isp has never been tested with >4G ram?

Wilko> Quite possible as far as Alpha is concerned.  You are correct
Wilko> about the 2G, on a lot of Alpha models it is less than that
Wilko> (IIRC..)

>> Third, is this a machine ram size problem or a disk volume size
>> problem?  The original post was about a 131G FC volume and
>> calculating the wrong number of sectors and the wrong sector
>> size...

Wilko> Given time (....) I could test up to 2TB volumes using FC /
Wilko> isp(4) at work.  But not on amd64 as we do not currently have
Wilko> such a machine :)

I just heard back from some people still onsite.  The ISP driver
booted with everything the same except hw.physmem=2g works.  It's a
memory issue.

I didn't ever think it was a volume size issue as the volume was 131
gig ... and that's not big these days.

Dave.