Hand on gmirror (Was: Re: gmirror bugs, how many?)

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 29 07:11:30 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 12:52:40PM -0200, Jo?o Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:
+> >+>     Indeed, the -h option is what I wanted and the "bug" is in the
+> >+> manual. What would happen if I change the disc ID in this case?
+> >
+> >Your disk will not be detected as a mirror component, because hardcoded
+> >name is different.
+>
+> Oops.  Is there a check for that?  For example, let's say that ad0s1 got
+> renamed to ad1s1, and hardcoded a reference to ad0s1.  In this case,
+> there is a disk called ad0s1 in the system.  Is gmirror smart enough in
+> this case?

In this case ad1s1 will not be connected to the mirror (but don't worry,
ad0s1 will not be connected as well).

+> >+> sigesc::root jcmendes [553] disklabel mirror/vol0
+> >+> # /dev/mirror/vol0:
+> >+> 8 partitions:
+> >+> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
+> >+>   a: 16498864       16    unused        0     0
+> >+>   c: 16498880        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
+> >+> don't edit
+> >+> sigesc::root jcmendes [554]
+> >+>
+> >+>   Seems good until now.  Except for the offset 16 of the "a" partition.
+> >+>  Is this necessary?  The man page says that the only sector reserved
+> >+> for metadata is the provider's last one.
+> >
+> >Ehh, "blame" disklabel(8). First 16 sectors are reserved for boot code.
+>
+> And why this does not happen with ad0s1, etc?

I think it should, only using sysinstall for this will not allocate those
sectors. Anyway, it has nothing to do with gmirror.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl