Jail + sysv shmem

Koen Martens fbsd at metro.cx
Sun Nov 28 12:03:33 PST 2004

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 12:00:58PM +0000, freebsd-hackers-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> From: Justin Hopper <jhopper at bsdhosting.net>
>
> I know that Pawel @ http://garage.freebsd.pl has a patch for making
> private SysV IPC memory spaces for the host system and each jail:
>
> http://garage.freebsd.pl/privipc.README
>
> The patch is against 4.x though, and I've never tried it.  I would
> really like to see something like this implemented for 5.x though.  Does
> anyone know if there are plans to implement this in the future 5.x
> releases?  If not, I would be interested in helping anyone that wishes
> to try implementing this in 5.3 soon, as we have a lot of clients who
> ask for SysV IPC inside of jailed hosting environments.

Interesting, I will download that and see if it is of any help in my
effort to implementing this in freebsd 5.x. Thanks for the pointer.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:21:06 +1100
> From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au>
>
> The sysadmin is likely to need access to:
> 1) look at SysV IPC usage across the entire system
> 2) clean up after a process has died unexpectedly.
>
> Whilst it's possible for the sysadmin to enter the relevant jail and
> look at what is used in that jail, it's very difficult to get an
> overall view of the system in this way - especially if there are lots
> of jails.

Hmm, there is a trade-off: ease of maintenance vs security. I personally
would not want to have the host system to have access to the jail
systems by IPC. It seems reasonable to make this a sysctl (which can
only be set at boot time).

> Robert Watson was also looking into this recently.

I had some contact with him a while back, about his jailng project.
However, that has been abandonded afaik. How recently have you heard him
talk about this?

Kind regards,

Koen Martens

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.