Jail + sysv shmem

Justin Hopper jhopper at bsdhosting.net
Sat Nov 27 14:19:29 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 11:38, Koen Martens wrote:
> Hello Hackers,
>
> For a while i've been wanting shared memory to be usable withing jails,
> but with cross-jail protection. Ie. shared memory is restricted to a
> jail.
>
> Recently I've been digging a bit in the freebsd kernel source code
> (which is new to me, been doing quite some linux kernel hacking though).
> It looks like this is actually not _that_ difficult to implement.
>
> So, did anyone try this yet? Any pointers?

I know that Pawel @ http://garage.freebsd.pl has a patch for making
private SysV IPC memory spaces for the host system and each jail:

http://garage.freebsd.pl/privipc.README

The patch is against 4.x though, and I've never tried it.  I would
really like to see something like this implemented for 5.x though.  Does
anyone know if there are plans to implement this in the future 5.x
releases?  If not, I would be interested in helping anyone that wishes
to try implementing this in 5.3 soon, as we have a lot of clients who
ask for SysV IPC inside of jailed hosting environments.

Or perhaps there is a new IPC implementation that FreeBSD is looking at
and perhaps they will dump SysV IPC altogether?

--
Justin Hopper  <jhopper at bsdhosting.net>
UNIX Systems Engineer