gmirror bugs, how many?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 25 14:45:50 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:30:08PM -0200, Jo?o Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:
+>     First, I partioned (fdisk) for a full FreeBSD system, with
+> sysinstall, which got me this:
[...]
+>     Then I tried to compose a single disk gmirror with the whole ad1 disk:
[...]

First mistake - wrong order. Create a mirror, than partition a mirror
provider.

+>     Now, lets reboot.  I could not unload geom_mirror, since it was
+> preloaded during boot, is this expected?  The device could not be
+> unloaded, but the volume disapeared (gmirror list, ls /dev/mirror).

If there is no mirror configured, you should be able to unload it.

+>     Ok, now let's try something diferent.  Let's suppose that I only
+> want one slice mirrored.  Maybe the other slices could be standalone, or
+> striped, this is not important now.  Let's just say I do want to mirror
+> ad1s1, instead of the whole ad1.
[...]
+>     But the consumer name is still ad1, and not ad1s1.  Hey, let's check:

Read manual page. Gmirror uses the last provider's sector for metadata.
If two or more providers share the same last sector (as in your case),
use '-h' option.

+>     Is there any gmirror hacker around to fix these?

There is nothing to fix.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl