restore hangs system creating directories.

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Wed Nov 24 08:57:27 PST 2004

Consistently, I can hang my system with restore.  The archive is an
uncompressed 75 gig file.  I run restore -rvf <file> in a new empty
directory and restore's first chore is to create the directory tree.

restore hangs the machine.  It hangs the machine when there's othere
read/write going on or by itself.  The machine is an athlon-750 with
ata-66 disk interfaces and 384 meg of RAM.  The disk in question is a
250 gig disk formated with -b 65536 and -f 8192

Now... I can get this to work if I run

while true; do sync; sleep 1; done

in another shell.

Dave.