A20/keybord/no-keyboard

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Nov 24 07:47:57 GMT 2004

> The console driver (sc) currently requires you to have at least one
> keyboard driver compiled in.  Since your board doesn't have a display
> adapter, you can simply remove 'device sc'.

the kbd.c was getting compiled in, and complained, but i think that's
taken care of.
I solved it by adding hint.atkbdc.0.disabled="1".

As I wrote before, 'it would be nice', if such fantom devices could
be detected at boot time, so the same fs/root/kernel could work on
'similar' platforms out-of-the-box. with the kbd, i found where it was looping,
in 'atkbdc.c: empty_both_buffers', but got lost trying to figure out how
to get out of it (specialy since there is no kbd/buffer :-).

> from an earlier message:
>
> > btw, this board doesn't have a vga either, and only after i removed
> > it from the kernel config did i begin to see some output on the
> > serial line.
>
> If the VGA driver is present, the system will assume you want to use a
> VGA console, unless you force one of the serial ports to become the
> system console by setting the appropriate hint in device.hints or
> loader.conf as documented in the sio(4) man page.  For instance:
>
> hint.sio.0.flags="0x30"
>
> forces sio0 to become the system console regardless of the presence of
> a display adapter.
>
> You may also have to tell the boot code and loader to use the serial
> console; see their respective manual pages.

im using hint.sio.0.flags="0x20", and still, only after i removed the vga
from the config file did i get the console output on the serial line.

i'm using boot0sio, so the boot is also talking via the serial, but the BTX
is still using the vga, compiling it to use the serial gave errors.

danny