setting promisc mode kills vlans on devices with hwtagging (em, re ...)

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 23 14:30:00 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Iasen Kostov wrote:
>
> > if you setup a vlan devices with parent one of emX or reX (this what I
> > have at the moment)  which has hardware vlan tagging just try to run
> > tcpdump (without -p) and the vlans will die :). That doesn't happen with
> > parent devices not supporting hwtagging. And this totally excludes
> > possibility to run a bridge over vlans with parent device which support
> > hwtaggs.  And something else was observed with re driver - it is
> > impossible to disable hwtaggs by -vlanhwtag neither you can disable vlan
> > mtu :).
>
> I recently fixed this bug in if_em in HEAD, and will be merging that
> back to RELENG_5 shortly.  We plan to also merge the change to
> RELENG_5_3 as an errata patch fix.  It does not surprise me that if_re
> has a similar bug;  I'll look at abstracting the solution in the next
> few days.

I've now merged the fix to RELENG_5 from HEAD:

  Checking in if_em.c;
  /home/ncvs/src/sys/dev/em/if_em.c,v  <--  if_em.c
  new revision: 1.44.2.4; previous revision: 1.44.2.3
  done
  Checking in if_em.h;
  /home/ncvs/src/sys/dev/em/if_em.h,v  <--  if_em.h
  new revision: 1.25.2.2; previous revision: 1.25.2.1
  done

I'll take a look at if_re shortly.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research