List of fake vs. real SATA drives.

Charles Sprickman spork at fasttrackmonkey.com
Mon Nov 22 19:19:43 GMT 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, [ISO-8859-1] João Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:

> What is the practical diference?  Performance?

I don't know how much of it to believe, since it is marketing material,
but the Seagate white paper on their site claims that all the
command-queueing stuff brings the performance very close to that of scsi.

This last weekend I put together a box with a 3Ware SATA RAID controller
and two of the Seagate drives.  The controller is probably a bit of a
bottleneck, but that sucker was still incredibly fast for the price (about
$300 for the controller, $100 for for each of the two Seagate 160GB
drives).  At $2 per mirrored gigabyte, I'm not complaining.

Charles