tcsh fix

Paul Armstrong freebsdhackers at otoh.org
Fri Nov 12 09:50:08 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 05:05:28PM +0100, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> > This is to provide compatibility whn working with multiple versions of
> > Unix.
> > I write many scripts in sh on Solaris, and find they just don't work on
> > Linux because /bin/sh on Linux is really /bin/bash and is not bacwards
> > compatible. I HATE this. We shouldn't do this, and should do anything
> > like this.
>
> Again - backwards compatible with what?  Might it not be the case that
> it is your scripts for Solaris-sh which uses non-standard features and
> therefore fails on bash (which actually tends to be very
> standards-compliant.)

Indeed. Keep in mind that if you want a standard Bourne implementation
on Solaris (or at least one that complies to POSIX.2a-1992), then you
need to start your scripts with /usr/xpg4/bin/sh rather than /bin/sh.

Given that it's easier (and shouldn't actually do any harm to the base
OS) to commit the 44bsd csh as /bin/csh (or just simply remove the link
for /bin/csh->/bin/tcsh) than continue to argue about this, would
someone with a commit bit please make this thread go away?

Paul