Re; tcsh is not csh

Kevin Lyons klyons at corserv.com
Fri Nov 12 07:25:01 PST 2004

Ryan Sommers wrote:

> How many programs does this incompatability actually break?
> Realistically? If it hasn't been a problem in the last 4 years it makes
> me wonder if anyone is actually writing or using shell scripts written
> for this.

I think it is a mistake to say that just because this is the first time
a complaint was make on hackers that this is the first time this has
occured.  The script I showed previously was pretty basic; easily
capable of breaking many csh scripts.  This is how it looks so far:

OpenBSD - works
NetBSD - works
Irix 6.5 - works
Sun OS - works
HPUX - not tried yet
AIX - not tried yet
FreeBSD - does not work (they knew better and renamed tcsh csh rather
than just calling a spade a spade, some commit bit vandal got a hair to
rename parts of the world for the sake of mankind.)
linux - not tried yet

> I'm not opposed to adding a real csh to /bin, but if we're only adding
> it to work around a minor incompatability that few if any programs rely
> on I don't see it as being a necessity.

And the microsoft mentality lives on.  God help freebsd.