Cannot compile a simple program..

Haulmark, Chris chris at sigd.net
Sat Nov 6 17:28:20 PST 2004

I made a simple hello.c

--------

#include<stdio.h>

int main()
{
   printf("Hello World\n");
   return 0;
}

--------

When I do this:

lrids# cc -o helloworld hello.c
cc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 11
lrids#

It also creates a ld.core in the same directory.

I was given this machine to configure it to run as an IDS system.  After some ports install attempts, compilings were failing.

I would like to have any suggestions to figure out exactly what is causing it.

My guess is a hardware part such as processor or ram is failing.

Here are some info about this machine.

It was fresh install of 4.10 from a mini version of the downloaded iso image.

There is no /etc/make.conf so it's untouched.

No customized kernel.  It is using the GENERIC version.

I tried to use gdb:

---------
lrids# gdb ld.core
GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...

"/usr/home/chaulmark/ld.core": not in executable format: File format not recognized

(gdb) quit
lrids# file ld.core
ld.core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), FreeBSD-style, from 'ld'
lrids#

---------

I'm open to any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem.

--
Chris Haulmark