pkg_add conflicts

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Tue Nov 2 11:04:12 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 12:00:55PM +0000, freebsd-hackers-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:34:48 -0500
> From: Robert Dormer <rdormer at gmail.com>
> Subject: pkg_add conflicts
> To: freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org
>
> Can someone tell me, when was the @conflicts command added to the
> package system?  I keep trying to install things on my 4.9-RELEASE box
> and getting complaints from pkg_add about this command.

   It was quite a while ago, but the change came from CURRENT and I'm
not sure when/if it was backported to 4.x.

   Install the pkg_install-devel tools, and things will go fine.  I'm
switched over to using those on 4.8 + patches, and they work smoothly
on a number of machines.  The @conflicts directive is actually a good
thing, as it can prevent various maddening and hard-to-fix problems
coming up.

  If you have trouble installing pkg_install-devel from a package -
which you shouldn't - update ports and install pkg_install-devel from
ports before switching back to the packaging system.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
Did you ever fly a kite in bed?  Did you ever walk with ten cats on your head?
  Did you ever milk this kind of cow?  Well we can do it.  We know how.
If you never did, you should.  These things are fun, and fun is good.
                                                                 -- Dr. Seuss