Darwin cmd import?

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sat May 29 16:56:13 PDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

> regarding the APSL (http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/), do you think
> it is possible to import some darwin commands w/ mods.
>
> for instance, I thing to decomment and relpath from bootstrap_cmds, sadc
> and sar from system_cmds, and maybe some others in the future.
>
> also, how about to import NetBSD shlock ? and CMU md (a sort of mkdep in
> C) ?
>
> PS : decomment and relpath only need some mods while sadc would need a
> large amount of mods, don't know about sar.

The FreeBSD Core Team took a look at the APSL a while back, and decided
that similar to LGPL/GPL, it was an acceptable license for use in
userspace for stand-alone tools, but that similar protections to LGPL/GPL
would be required for kernel code (not built by default, carefully marked,
etc).  That said, Apple tends to release only code they've heavily
rewritten or created from scratch under APSL; code they modify tends to
remain under the existing license (CMU, BSD, etc).  Generally they're
careful to label the license on the download page.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research