Grub and FreeBSD 4.9

Stanislav Grozev tacho at orbitel.bg
Wed May 19 04:58:47 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:47:34PM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
> Oh quite possibly I have the grub install on a linux partition.
> just creating a small boot partition of a format that grub can load
> should be good enough though. If someone else can find out
> how to get grub to load read an ffs partition I'd be certainly
> interested as well.

mine works fine. i am with 5-current (UFS2, but it works with UFS1 also)
install the grub port

# mkdir /boot/grub
# cp /usr/local/share/grub/i386-freebsd/* /boot/grub

make a /boot/grub/menu.lst:

---begin menu.lst---
default=0
timeout=10

title FreeBSD
        root (hd0,1,a)
	kernel /boot/loader
---end menu.lst---

(adjust the root directive accordingly - mine is first hard disk,
second slice, partition 'a')

format a msdos diskette

then install grub on it:

# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
# mkdir /mnt/grub
# cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/grub/
# umount /mnt
# grub

grub> root (fd0)
grub> setup (fd0)
grub> quit

reboot from the diskette:

grub> root (hd0,1,a) # again, adjust accordingly
grub> setup (hd0) # install in MBR

then reboot and you should be all set

PS. I'm typing this from memory, but this is pretty much how I install it

-tacho
--
  0x44fc3339 || [02b5 798b 4bd1 97fb f8db 72e4 dca4 be03 44fc 3339]