Wanted: Example tar files

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Mon May 17 18:57:58 PDT 2004

In order to test bsdtar's automatic format detection and
support for variant tar formats, I'm looking for sample
archives generated by a variety of tar programs.

In particular, I'm looking for tar archives generated by:
   * Very old versions of tar (pre-1980 is especially
     interesting)
   * Various vendor implementations (AIX, HP-UX,
     Solaris, etc.)
   * Other programs that create tar archives?

I've tested pretty thoroughly against the current
versions of GNU tar, star, and Solaris 8 tar, so I
don't need examples generated by those.

An ideal test archive would not be too big (< 16k) and
have as many as possible of the following:
   * regular file
   * directory
   * hardlink
   * symlink
   * fifo, socket, device node, etc.
   * regular file with very long pathname (>256 characters)
   * symlink to a file with a very long pathname
   * file with 8-bit character in the filename
   * file with 8-bit character in the user or group name
   * file with ACL, file flags, or other extended permissions

Of course, if the system or tar program doesn't support
some of these, don't bother. Be sure to extract it
to a clean directory to make sure it really does contain
what you think it does and send me the results of "ls -lR"
so I can check that bsdtar does the right thing.  And, of
course, let me know what program/version/system generated it.

If you have a sample for me that's UNDER TWENTY KILOBYTES,
just gzip it and email it to me at <kientzle at freebsd.org>.
If you have something larger, please contact me first to
make suitable arrangements to transfer it.

Bonus points, of course, if you've tried to extract
it with bsdtar and it failed.  ;-)

Thanks for your help,

Tim Kientzle