md(8) panic

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 13 05:29:25 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 02:08:05PM +0100, Mike Bristow wrote:
+> Hi,
+>
+> I am trying to access some ancient 5 1/4" floppies, with 256 byte
+> sectors.  Leaving aside the interesting hardware problems, the
+> filesystem on these disks is (surprisingly enough) not supported on
+> -CURRENT.  While attempting to write one, I ran:
+>
+> # mdconfig -a -t malloc -S 256 -s 20
+>
+> Thinking that this would give me some fake media to play with.  Instead,
+> it panics the box.
+>
+> This happens at line 809 of md.c version 1.222 which says:
+>
+> sc->nsect /= (sc->secsize / DEV_BSIZE);
+>
+> (where sc->secsize has been initialised to 256, as per
+> my request).
+>
+> It would be easy to check for, and reject, such requests, but should
+> md(8) allow people to create such devices?  Or am I being silly in even
+> asking for it?

This sector size is valid and shouldn't be rejected.
This patch works for me:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/md.c.3.patch

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org