GATEKEEPER.MCAST.NET again (unexpected traffic)

Chris Dillon cdillon at wolves.k12.mo.us
Mon May 10 08:47:24 PDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, TSaplin Mikhail wrote:

> On Monday 10 May 2004 12:31, you wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 May 2004, TSaplin Mikhail wrote:
> > > Recently I wrote, that I have litle traffic to GATEKEEPER.MCAST.NET,
> > > (tcpdump show this:
> > > 20:32:41.496039 129dial.supernet.kz.52075 > GATEKEEPER.MCAST.NET.1718:
> > > udp 31 )
>
> I know that H.323 protocol is used by ip-phones and releated
> software. And i don't understand why it sitting on my clean system
> (i've installed it without packages, except ltmdm(modem driver)).

It just dawned on me that you are connected to your ISP when you see
this, and those packets are probably coming from someone _else_ (you
were probably not 129dial.supernet.kz when you saw these).  Depending
on your ISP's network configuration, you may see multicast and
broadcast packets generated by other users.  Generally harmless.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?