Can't compile Intel gigabit "em" driver

Don Bowman don at sandvine.com
Sun May 9 15:22:13 PDT 2004

From: Gary Corcoran [mailto:garycor at comcast.net]

> Quick background:
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.8-Release and have a new Intel Pro/1000 MT
> NIC I want to install.  While there is a man page for the "em"
> driver which should be usable, there is no "em" listed in LINT
> or GENERIC.  Nor is the source code for if_em.c anywhere on my
> system.  So I downloaded the FreeeBSD driver source from Intel,
> which is listed as being for FreeBSD 4.7.  It's their latest code.

em is in the standard source tree for 4.8

src/sys/dev/em

you add 'device em' to your kernel config to compile
it in, or you can load the module by adding 'load_if_em=YES' to
loader.conf

if you installed from the 4.8 CD, you will have the module
present in /modules/if_em.ko

you can type 'kldload if_em' to try that theory, it will
load the driver, and it should now show in 'ifconfig'.

--don