Enumerating devices and hardware conf from userland

Thierry DELHAISE befree_fr at mac.com
Sun May 2 16:27:15 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Sorry first if my question seems stupid : I'm new in the FreeBSD Kernel
design and so don't know all interfaces of the kernel in user land.

I'm developping a tool running in userland (root) (a command line
tools) for enumerating all devices present on the machine :

This tool must scan all hardware buses : pci, but usb, firewire, ide,
etc.... and retreive devices states : configure, not configured, handle
by a driver, not handle by a driver, witch modules is the driver.
And I want to have all devices present inside a machine.

In some recent Kernel, there is a way from userland, to take a handle
from the root hardware tree, enumeratiing first buses, and under buses,
witch device are connect to those buses. This is is what I am looking
for.

How to do this under FreeBSD ?

THX in advance for your help, advice, comment.

Thierry