kmem_malloc crashes running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p5

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sat May 1 15:27:28 PDT 2004

Am 29.04.2004 um 02:01 schrieb Kris Kennaway:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 02:40:38PM -0700, John Uhlig wrote:
>> On the web, freebsd mailing lists and bug lists, I have seen existing
>> thread about "kmem_malloc and kmem_map too small" problems - but no
>> evidence of a fix or patch. We experienced the same problem running
>> 4.9 but were able to fix it by setting the MAXMEM option in our
>> kernel conf file to a value 1GB less than actual physical memory
>> size. This does not help with 5.2.1-RELEASE-p5.
>>
> See PR 53416.  You just need to tune your kernel resource allocation
> to deal with the large amount of memory your system has.

I recently enquired about advice for this exact situation on -current
(see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-April/
026065.html), but didn't really get any.

The PR does not give advice on which parameters in which way, or list a
solution. My own experimentation has been inconclusive; the machine
still panics when running the daily scripts. I'm running a cron job
every minute to record various vm statistics now; hopefully this will
give me further pointers.

How does PAE affect this? My box has 6 GB, but I have disabled PAE for
the moment.

And just for clarification: the panic is with basically no load, just
some file system pressure (two jails running the daily scripts);
otherwise, the machine is unused.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140