FAST_IPSEC bug fix

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Mar 31 11:00:29 PST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Helge Oldach wrote:

> Mike Tancsa:
> >Well, its not totally a bug, but missing functionality that looks
> >like is there but is not and is pretty important to keep lossy
> >links functioning with IPSEC. My colleague gabor at sentex.net created
> >the patch below that implements net.key.prefered_oldsa when using
> >FAST_IPSEC.
>
> Yep, this is particularly important when running IPSec against other
> vendors' IPSec implementation. Many appear to prefer the new SA over the
> old one.

Of course.. If you prefer the old SA over teh new one and your peer is
rebooted, then you can't talk to them until the old SA expires..

This made our network untennable until this sysyctl was added.

Every time a host was rebooted, all links that touched that host were
down for up to 20 minutes (the SA expiry time we were using at that
time)