off topic - disk crash

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Sun Mar 28 15:16:38 PST 2004

Christoph P. Kukulies wrote this message on Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 13:04 +0100:
> Some time ago I wrote a little program to scan a disk for the start of
> a FS. Unfortunately that program is also on the crashed disk :-O

Since you are on 4.8-R you can take a look at ffsrecov.  I wrote this
program a while back to try to recover data...  This program might be
able to help you since it will only read minimal amounts of data.. it
also will scan for superblocks and report where it believes the begining
of the FS is...  it also has a mode where you can give it a block number
and it will tell you what part of the fs the block is allocated to, be
it inode, or data, or free...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579