pthread problems

Jeff Mitchell jam6 at cec.wustl.edu
Sun Mar 28 01:06:56 PST 2004

Hackers--

I'm having major troubles upgrading my ports, and nearly all of them are related to pthreads in some way or another.  After trying to troubleshoot a lot of these individually, I'm at the point of thinking I should redo my pthread libraries...it seems like something's very messed up internally.

I've been Googling and searching newsgroups and all sorts of stuff but just can't really find anything that helps.

For reference, my system is a 5.2R upgraded to 5.2.1R via cvsup.  After taking a quick look at some of the issues I'm having below, can anyone tell me what course of action I should pursue (i.e. how to figure out what's going wrong with everything, or if I should try redoing my pthreads libraries, or what) and how I should do that action?

I know I have pthreads installed (see the openldap error), and linuxthreads are installed too (although configure scripts don't seem to find those)...see the openldap error, again).

Here's a couple of examples.  For each pair, the portupgrade error is shown on the first lines, the relevant builld/configure/link error on the following lines:

! devel/commoncpp (commoncpp2-1.0.8_1,1)        (compiler error)
thread.cpp:1081: error: `pthread_yield' undeclared (first use this function)

! deskutils/xchm (xchm-0.8.11)  (linker error)
/usr/X11R6/lib/libwx_gtk2-2.4.so: undefined reference to `pthread_yield_np'

! devel/libsigcx (libsigcx-0.6.4)       (linker error)
../sigcx/.libs/libsigcx-0.6.so: undefined reference to `pthread_yield_np'

! audio/arts (arts-1.1.4,1)     (compiler error)
threads_posix.cc: In member function `virtual void
   Arts::PosixThreads::Thread_impl::setPriority(int)':
threads_posix.cc:190: error: aggregate `sched_param sp' has incomplete type and
   cannot be defined
threads_posix.cc:192: error: `SCHED_FIFO' undeclared (first use this function)

! x11-fm/gnome-commander (gnome-commander-1.0.1_1)      (linker error)
gnome-cmd-delete-dialog.o: In function `reply_callback':
gnome-cmd-delete-dialog.o(.text+0x698): undefined reference to `__pthread_detach'

! deskutils/xchm (xchm-0.8.11)  (linker error)
/usr/X11R6/lib/libwx_gtk2-2.4.so: undefined reference to `pthread_yield_np'

! net/openldap21-client (openldap-client-2.1.23)        (configure error)
checking for GNU Pth pthread.h... yes
checking for pthread_create in default libraries... no
checking for pthread link with -kthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -mthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -thread... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach -lexc -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -Wl,-woff,85... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread... Segmentation fault (core dumped)
no
checking for pthread link with -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -threads... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lmach -lexc -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lmach -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads... no
configure: error: could not locate usable POSIX Threads

It goes on and on.  I've attached the output from "ls /var/db/pkg" but don't know what else would help.  If anyone needs anything more, just let me know.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff