Diagnosing unrecognized hardware

Brian O'Shea b_oshea at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 16:13:55 PST 2004

Hello Warner,

--- "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Basically, you add it to sys/dev/pccard/pccarddevs, run make -f
> Makefile.pccarddevs in that directory, then add the line you talked
> about in your other email to if_wi_pccard.c.  The first part of this
> is desirable reguardless of if if_wi supports this card or not.  There
> was some other mail suggesting it was a 'flash-less' card needing
> firmware downloaded to it before it would work.

Ok, the card is now recognized by the driver...

wi0: <D-Link DWL-650 Wireless PC Card RevP> at port 0x200-0x27f irq 10 function
0 config 1 on pccard0

However (as Oleg Polyakov suggested), this still won't work because
the card doesn't have firmware.  Here's what I see now:

wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0000; event status 0x0000
wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
: init failed
device_probe_and_attach: wi0 attach returned 6

A quick search didn't turn up information on how to obtain
firmware and upload it to the card.  D-Link has seems to have
a pretty good support web site, but nothing for FreeBSD (I wasn't
expecting anything).  Is there something like Linux's prism2_srec
tool for uploading firmware onto these cards?

Thanks,
-brian