Intel i8xx watchdog driver

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 25 13:40:12 PST 2004

Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Scott Long writes:
> | Wm. Daryl Hawkins wrote:
> | > I've written a driver for the Intel i8xx TCO watchdog timer for both
> | > FreeBSD-CURRENT and FreeBSD-STABLE.
> |
> | This is wonderful.  I'd be happy to test it and shepherd it in.  Does it
> | support the intel 750x chips also?
>
> All ICH chips that I've touched support this with the device ID updated
> as needed.  FYI there is a new watchdog device in the 6300ESB.  Not
> sure if it is in prior ICH chips.  It is interesting in that during the
> first expire it will generate and interrupt then it will reboot on the
> next expire.  So if you have an ICH then you can use it.

In reading the code, it appears that it is indeed an ICHx service and
not limited to just i8xx chipsets.  I have a few issues with how the
probe and attach are done, and I'm addressing these in a private mail
right now.  It's funny that I was reading the Intel ICH5 docs last night
and didn't come across this feature at all.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of auto-reboot on second expire, unless
it is configurable (i.e. you can turn that feature off depending on the
situation).  I understand it's purpose though.

> A nice concept would be to have a SW watchdog based on the clock tickle
> the HW watchdog.  If the SW watchdog goes off you get a panic.
>
> Interesting caveats are having the watchdogs going off while in kgdb/ddb.

Talking with PHK about this now.  There seems to be a growing need for a
mechanism that can inform registered listeners that DDB is about to be
entered.  It's just a random thought in my brain right now, need more
time to flesh it out.

> Caveat to the ICH TCO timer is that if the speaker output out of the ICH
> has a pull up resistor on it then the TCO reset is disabled and will not
> reset the system.  I ran into this on a motherboard at a prior company.
> You cannot via SW disable this feature :-(
>
> I have code for the SIS 630 chipset that I can give to anyone interested.

More support it wonderful!  I don't have any hardware to test it on, though.

Scott