Adventures with gcc: code vs object-code size

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Sun Mar 21 04:14:14 PST 2004

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> I am not a compilier guru, so I suspect it would take me hours to
> pin this down.  I don't want to do that, so I'm wondering if anyone
> understands how such a minor code-change can POSSIBLY cause such a
> huge change in resulting object file...  I also wonder if this same
> issue pops up in other programs, too.

I'm not a guru either, but I've seen a case where adding code (mostly
switch clauses) caused a size reduction (on i386 anyway)...

Depending on the optimisation level, it might be that the added code is
affecting the heuristics gcc is using for inlined functions etc.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/               |        Australia