a serious error in sched_ule.c?

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Mar 15 21:42:30 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:16:54PM -0800, Wes Peters wrote:
>Sigh.  Nobody really does compute-bound tasks anymore, do they?  I really
>miss "scientific programming."

seti at home, the mersenne prime project, protein folding and the list
goes on (the mersenne prime project web site includes an extensive
list of other ways to help your CPU avoid the idle loop).  I suspect
more people now have a compute-bound process soaking their idle cycles
than ever before.  (Of course, these processes need to be using an
interactive scheduler so the user doesn't notice the background
process - even if the compute-bound task runs a bit slower as a
result).

Of course this isn't quite the same as a vector supercomputer doing
"traditional" scientific programming - but no-one's ported FreeBSD
to a Cray yet.

Peter