Mozilla sucking file descriptors

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun Mar 14 17:32:19 PST 2004

Has anybody else seen Mozilla just start munching file descriptors the
longer it runs?  I've seen it with at least Phoen^WFirebird 0.6 and
the current Firebi^WFirefox.  It just keeps going 'till it maxes out
the system.  fstat(1) doesn't show much directly, but with -v it spits
a crapload of errors:

(ttyp4):{173}% fstat -v | & grep -E 'unknown file type 5 for file [0-9]+ of pid 4697' | wc -l
    3472

(that being, of course, my current firefox PID)

File type 5 is a kqueue (according to sys/file.h).  Why is Mozilla
eating an ever-increasing number of kqueue handles?  Is this our
problem or theirs?  Or is this something fixed since I last updated
(I'm on 5.1-RELEASE now)?

(In other news, thank heavens you can tweak kern.maxfiles on the fly!)

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net