off topic - disk crash

Søren Schmidt sos at DeepCore.dk
Sun Mar 14 03:25:21 PST 2004

Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> Thanks for all the helpful tips so far. It is a DLTA 307045 (3.5")
> Don't know whether this is a 75GXP.

It is one of the dreaded models experience shows that all models after
this has some kind of problems, no wonder they sold out :)

> I'm getting either these:
>
> ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left)  LBA=30583
>
> Which don't stop the dd process.
>
> And these,
>
> ad2: FAILURE  -  READ_DMA status=51<READY, DSC, ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=9156
>
> leading to termination.
>
> Also the transfer rate is terribly slow: (80 KB/s)
>
> I was able to save 18 MB (of 46 GB) (not much so far)
>
> Any other suggestions?

Use the noerror and sync flags to dd, that will get past errors and put
in NULL sectors for those you cant read. However it will take a looong
time and probably tear off the sorry rests of your magnetic coating on
the platters :(

-Søren