FreeBSD "Live Upgrade" best practice?

Daniel Lang langd-freebsd-hackers at leo.org
Thu Mar 11 02:19:36 PST 2004

Hi,

I'd like to try some sort of "Live Upgrade".

Given: -STABLE box with an extra disk.

Intended procedure:

- Install 5.2.1-RELEASE (given it works on that box)
  on the extra disk
- Adapt configuration from -STABLE
- shutdown
- change -STABLE disk with 5.2.1 disk
- boot and run 5.2.1
- optionally update to 5-CURRENT

Is this a feasable procedure?

How would I best install the 5.2.1 on the extra disk.
I thought I'd just extract the -release tarballs
using the install.sh script? However there is also
mtree information, and of course the extra disk is
not mounted on / but on /mnt

What do I else need to think of?

I know that I probably cannot create UFS2 filesystems with
the -stable system. But I guess I can run UFS(1) as well
until I move each filesystem to UFS2 using the (now spare)
old -stable system disk.

Maybe someone has already done such a thing?

Thanks & best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                                    - Eddie would go! -
 Daniel Lang * dl at leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/