NIC-independent watchdog timeout on 5.2.1-R

Alan Gerber agerber at ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 10 16:59:45 PST 2004

I'm gonna commit the cardinal sin and cross-post this to -hackers since I
haven't had any luck getting an answer out of -questions.   ;-)

I hope someone here's at least partly seen this before!

--
Alan Gerber

Hey all,

I'm trying to put 5.2.1-Release on my desktop at home, and I'm experiencing a
couple of errors that have me confused.  First, I get a number of
"module_register: module ???/??? already exists!\nModule ???/??? failed to
register: 17" errors on startup (I'm including the dmesg output which includes
these errors), and I also get a watchdog timeout for all of the 4 different
network cards I've used in the machine.  The specific watchdog message isn't
included in the dmesg text, but it's none to complicated: "rl0: watchdog
timeout" and such.  The NICS that I've used are:

2x Linksys LNE100TX v4 (dc driver)
1x Generic Belkin card (rl driver)
1x Intel Pro/100 (fxp driver)

My guess is that these two problems are probably related, but since I've no
idea how to resolve the first problem, I started troubleshooting the second:
here's what I've found so far:

I've read enough of the man pages to know that this is supposedly caused by
the driver not getting a response that a packet was put on the wire
successfully.  But I am certain that the cards are good (I've pulled all but
the 1st Linksys out of working machines to test this), and the cabling and
connections are all good, too.  I've used the same cards successfully in WinXP
with no problems whatsoever on the same machine.

I am experiencing this error with the install floppies, install CD, liveCD,
and even after installation via CD with the generic kernel.

Disabling ACPI has had no effect in this case.

I've pulled all other cards (save my video card [GeForce FX5600]) out of the
machine and tried each of the above cards, but still no luck.

The motherboard for the machine in question is an Asus A7A266, running BIOS
revision 1011.  I'm attaching the verbose ACPI-enabled dmesg output from the
liveCD in case it helps.

At this point I don't know what to do.  I've checked the mail archives, FAQ,
bsdforums.org, etc, and I haven't found any situations that seem to apply for
me.  I'm guessing that it is something about my specific hardware combination
or possibly a BIOS setting, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had
any thoughts on either a solution or a workaround.

I'd appreciate any help that can be given on this situation, because I'd love
to move away from running WinXP on my desktop! ;-)

--
Alan Gerber