Subversion follow-up

Craig Boston craig at tobuj.gank.org
Wed Mar 10 06:35:21 PST 2004

Unless somebody chimes in and just really wants me to stick this out to the
bitter end, I'm about to kill my attempted import of the FreeBSD src/
repository into a test Subversion instance.

The process has just passed the 1 month mark:

USER      PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS  TT  STAT STARTED        TIME COMMAND
craig   19802 80.5  2.1 15600 10848  pv  RN+   9Feb04 33187:46.67 python ./cvs2svn.py

and is still processing commits from mid-2001.  Each commit has gotten
progressively slower.  As my other experiment (importing periodic snapshots
from certain branches) has been working beautifully, I'm certain at this point
that it's not Subversion itself, but rather the cvs2svn script that is slowing
down.  I may try again if I hear that the script has been improved in the
future.  I'm using a barely pre-1.0 version of it that was checked out of the
development branch, so I'm reasonably sure not much has changed between it
and the 1.0 released one.

Craig