HDD questions

Søren Schmidt sos at DeepCore.dk
Mon Mar 8 01:29:19 PST 2004

Roman Kurakin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I have some problems with my HDD (ST380021A). The problem was checked
> on 5.2, 5.2.1, and some
> 5.Current (cvsuped about week or two).
>
>    At first I got this problem while system installation. I get trap and
> message from ata after I start a commit:
> FAILURE READ_DMA status=51 <READY, DSC, ERROR> error=10 <NID_NOT_FOUND>
> LBA=245529601

If I read the above modelnumber correctly it is a 80G disk..

There is only ~160000000 sectors on such a disk, so you cant expect to
read sector 245529601 as its not there :)

Now why sysinstall tries to do that is beyond me, but could be a problem
with the geometry (it seems to always get it wrong these days).

-Søren