Standard sbc and pcm support in GENERIC kernel?

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Sat Mar 6 07:58:55 PST 2004

On Mar 05, Daniel Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Raistrick wrote on Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:27:56AM -0800:
> [..]
> > kldload snd_driver
> >
> > is of course the correct way to do it.  FWIW, kldunload snd_driver does
> > /not/ unload all of the modules that kldload snd_driver loads.
> [..]
>
> snd_driver is a module that contains _all_ drivers,
> thus you have the best chance to get sound working.
> Unloading it, will of course unload the whole module with
> all drivers. There is no way to leave one of the drivers
> in the kernel.
>
> I agree, that there is not much documentation which driver
> module supports which sound device (or I was not successful
> to dig that up).
>
> However, you can determine the correct module, by subsequently
> which attached to your sound device and actually works
> (check /dev/sndstat as well) is obviously the correct one.
>
> Not a very efficient way, but it works. :)

	David and Daniel,
	First let me say that on my 5.x machine, kldunload snd_driver
does unload all the modules (and detaches the drivers when
applicable).
	In regards to how hard it is to know which module provides the
driver, I've just added to -current the following,

mat at tube$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> at io 0xb800 irq 11 kld snd_cmi (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
pcm1: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xb400 irq 5 kld snd_emu10k1 (4p/2r/0v channels duplex)

	So the installation procedure is, as root.

	kldload snd_driver
	for each kld xxx in the output
		echo "xxx_load=\"YES\"" >> /boot/loader.conf

	Does this seem reasonable?

	--Mat

--
	In general, a standard is very useful, whether it's de facto
	or du jour.