Standard sbc and pcm support in GENERIC kernel?

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Wed Mar 3 11:58:31 PST 2004

Hi all,

I've been on the question list for some time, and I have noticed that
many people do not know how to get sound support up and running in
FreeBSD 5.X. I know that re-compiling the kernel is easy enough, but
there are still people not willing to do so, as I have noticed on the
list. Therefor I thought it might be an idea to put sound support in the
GENERIC kernel configuration, so that newbies will no longer find
themselves stuck with that.

The more advanced users and system administrators of servers will
re-compile the kernel anyway (I think), so they might as well kick out
sound support if that is not required.

I hope to hear other people's opinion about this.

Cheers,

Jorn

P.S: I am not suscribed on the stable or the hackers list, so please CC
me.