-stable needs rw obj dir for install?

Jamie Bowden ragnar at sysabend.org
Thu Mar 4 04:13:24 PST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, William Grim wrote:
> > Julian Elischer wrote:

> > >There in fact was a time problem.

> > I don't know how it was determined that there was a time sync problem;
> > however, in general, "make" creates updated object files depending on
> > the time an object was created.  If the source code is newer than the
> > object that would be built from the source code, then the object is
> > rebuilt.

> > Maybe this will help you understand why the times have to be in sync
> > between and NFS server and client

> Well of course I know that, but THEORETICALLY all the dependencies were
> ALSO on the NFS partition so they should still have matched the result.
> There must be a dependency on something outside of /usr/src/ or /usr/obj

No, the timestamp on the files is written by the server that the physical
disk lives on, but make is reading the local clock, so if they aren't in
sync, make gets real confused real fast.  Been there, done that, got the
T-shirt.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"