Locking: kern/50827

Brian Fundakowski Feldman green at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 28 12:29:38 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 05:49:19PM -0600, Stephen Hurd wrote:
> Well, possibly due to editorial content, kern/50827 has been completely
> ignored.  Not sure exactly the correct method of bringing something like
> this up, but am I the only one who finds flock(), dotlock, and fcntl()
> locks insufficient for their needs?  Originally, this patch resulted from
> porting a multi-threaded Win32 program to *nix... however, I've since used
> the features it in a number of programs (for FreeBSD only of course) with
> good success.  It really makes locking behave as expected.
>
> Has anyone looked at this?  Does anyone have any comments?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/50827

I don't think you'll ever find anyone interested in file locking anymore.
Since they're all advisory, anyway, you can just implement them at a higher
level in your application.  BSD and System V IPC mechanisms already are
very good building blocks here for system-scoped locks.

  <> green at FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \